Parents Live in Fear...

For the past week, children in my hometown and surrounding areas have been forced to spend their school days in a soft lockdown. While the younger children don't really realize they are even in lockdown other than missing out on recess, the older children know exactly what is going on.


For a week, since the gun store in Janesville, Wisconsin was robbed, these children have been robbed of their freedom. Taking recess away from these children when it is finally warm enough to go outside and play is a nightmare for them! I, like many other parents in my area, kept my children home from school a couple of those locked down days. The first day that I kept them home, I actually had a child throw a complete fit because she couldn't get a stress ball if she missed school that day. Well, is that stress ball more important than your life? I think not dear child.


The suspect has finally been found. Parents can breathe a little easier knowing there is one less madman on the streets making threats against our schools.


But he is only one man. While the hunt for him continued in our state, there was a shooting at an elementary school in California. An elementary school! These children are completely innocent! Why must be terrified to send our children to school? What is this world coming to?


Parents will always live in fear that something could happen to their children, but school should be a safe place for them. I never felt unsafe in school (until there was a gun in the library during my sophomore year, but that is another story). I was friendly with all groups of people. I was rarely bullied (once I moved out of the small town I spent my elementary years in and moved into the more diverse school that I loved). I didn't bully. Why can't kids be like this now? Why do I have an 8 year old that gets teased for his glasses and missing teeth? He's 8 years old! What 8 year old ISN'T missing at least one tooth?


Why is my 12 year old daughter being targeting because of the fact that she is sticking up for a girl who is being bullied? My daughter, who used to love school, is a nightmare every morning because she is dreading what the day will bring. Of course I couldn't be prouder of the way she is sticking up for that who can't or won't stick up for themselves, I hate that she is put in the situation in the first place. Why can't we just get along?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music = Life!

The Fate of Saving Avalon