Music = Life!

Ok anyone who knows me personally knows how important music is to me.


About six years ago, I guess you could say I had a crisis of faith. My faith was music. I had lost a really close friend of mine to suicide, and since he was the drummer of my favorite local band, I had no desire to listen to music anymore. In the car, my stereo was off. If my boyfriend at the time was playing music at home, I would put on noise canceling headphones just to drown out the sound. I didn't want to hear anything that would remind me of my friend.


Of course, being a drummer in a popular rock band, his friends and family put together a benefit. Several amazing local bands played that day. I couldn't not go.


During the first three bands, I sat outside. I couldn't bring myself to jump back into the world of live music. The bassist of one of the bands stepped outside for a cigarette between sets. We started talking.


Stu will never know how much he helped me that day. We talked about absolutely nothing important, but I needed it. I had never met the man in my life, but I will always be grateful for his ear. On his urging, I went inside the bar for the last band. It was of course my friend's band. I stood front row with tears in my eyes as the lead singer belted out the lyrics for Suicide Letter and Ghost, two of my favorite songs of theirs. The singer pulled me in for a hug on stage. I had never been really close with that person until that night. Now I couldn't imagine my life without him.


This was six years ago. Now that boyfriend is now my husband. He actually proposed to me at a Halloween party with both bands that were there for me the night of the benefit. The members of both of these bands became like family. We don't see them as often as we would like, but they are definitely a major part of our life.


Tonight, Stu's band is playing at their CD release party. If Stu wasn't outside to talk to me that night, I don't know that I ever would have rediscovered my love of music. Without that, I am afraid to know where I would be.


Music can heal all wounds. The loss of my friend will be with me every day, but instead of thinking about it as a loss, I was finally able to realize all the friendships that losing him has brought me.


The friendships will last a lifetime.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Fate of Saving Avalon