Music = Life

I know I've posted about this before, but it can't be said enough. Music is everything to me. There are a couple songs out there that have literally saved my life.

It's no secret that I was part of a majorly abusive relationship. Thankfully I got out of it when I did, because he is now sitting in prison for strangulation and false imprisonment on his most recent ex-girlfriend.

Like many women in abusive relationships, I tried to justify it. "It won't happen if I stop making him mad," I told myself over and over again.

Then I went to a concert. It was the first time I saw ANew Revolution. I had never heard of them, but they were opening for Tantric. I immediately fell in love with ANR. The lyrics to their song "Let Go" really hit home for me. I was even lucky enough to meet them after the show.

Once Tantric hit the stage, I really listened to their lyrics, especially "Mourning." I knew I had to get out of the relationship.

Life went on. Eventually, I went back to him. That's when things really started getting bad. On my little sister's sixteenth birthday, a fight left me lying on the side of the road after being thrown from the car.

Another song saved me then. "Scars" by Papa Roach.

I had the opportunity to see Papa Roach for the gazillionth time over the weekend. Of course I jumped on it. It was a large music festival with several other amazing bands (Five Finger Death Punch, Godsmack, Pop Evil, In This Moment, We Are Harlot), but Papa Roach was the main band I wanted to see.

Some technically difficulties pushed their start time back about 25 minutes, and being a large festival, they didn't get to make up that time, but the show was amazing. I really wish they could have played their entire set, because there were so  many songs of theirs that I love that I didn't get to see. Even though Maria Brink was at the show with them, they didn't have the time to perform "Gravity," which was upsetting, but their show was fantastic even without it.

"Scars" was the song that ran through my head the ENTIRE time I was writing the Self Inflicted series. I kept wanting to put lyrics in the book, but had to restrain myself due to copyright issues, but I will always think of that song whenever I see my books.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music = Life!

The Fate of Saving Avalon