Dating Ages

I was on facebook this morning (as I always am), and in one of my author groups, an author was asking if it was appropriate to write a book in which a 16 year old girl falls in love with a 19 year old counselor in summer camp. Many of the comments were against it, however, I don't see a problem with it.

Especially when the author explains more of the story. The counselor is not interested, but the girl keeps trying. A 16 year old boy watches this transpire and in the end, he falls in love with the girl, but she only has eyes for the counselor.

This happens every day!

In the First Love series, Marissa is 13 years old when she falls in love with Chad (17). While most people would frown on the relationship (which is why they keep it hidden), this kind of thing happens. Marissa and Chad never have a sexual relationship. A year and a half later, Marissa is 14 years old, and faces her boyfriend's suicide just days before she starts high school.

When I was younger, I personally dated many guys that were "too old" for me in the eyes of people. I didn't care. I was rebellious. Sure, when I was 16 and he was 23, I definitely lied to my mom about their ages.

On the other side of the coin, when I was 16, I also dated a 14 year old. The sad thing is that this 14 year old was more mature than the 23 year old or any of the other guys!

Now, I am a mother as well, and I sure don't want my children to be the way I was. My oldest son (12) is not really interested in dating. The girl he liked last year just recently moved 3 states away! My 10 year old daughter on the other hand, is too boy crazy! I don't mind it when she's crushing on the cute little 10 year old on her hockey team. He is a good kid. I know his parents. They only see each other during hockey season. I get to read all of their text messages (and so does his mom and we crack up at them!) It's harmless. My husband however, doesn't like it, yet he has no problem with my oldest dating.

Why is there a double standard when it comes to boys and girls?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music = Life!

The Fate of Saving Avalon