Fan Fiction!

I have been toying with the possibility of writing some fan fiction. If anything, it might help get my name out there, however, I'm struggling with WHAT to write. 

The obvious choice, being me, would be something Batman related, but it seems like it has all been done before. I know almost the complete history of Joker and Harley Quinn, but I've seen a lot of fan fiction featuring them as well.

It's kind of disappointing. When I dressed up as Harley Quinn for a Halloween party three years ago, no one knew who she was. Obviously, thanks to Heath Ledger, everyone knew who Joker was, but it was impossible to find ANYTHING with Harley on it.

That's not the case any more.

Since the Arkham video games featured Harley, it seems like she is everywhere! Now while I am pleased that she is finally getting the recognition she deserves, it seems like EVERYONE is trying to be Harley Quinn! 

Also, stop making her out to be an idiot! Yes, she makes some rather stupid relationship decisions, but she is not the airhead she is portrayed as most of the time. She is a psychiatrist! Why do people seem to forget that? I didn't realize that complete bimbos could make their way through medical school like she could.

Yes, she is blonde. Yes, her gymnastic abilities remind me of a cheerleader, which automatically makes me think airhead (not knocking cheerleaders by any means! I was one!). Harley's problem is that she is madly in love and will do anything to receive that love in return. (Hell, who wouldn't? She just takes it to new extremes!)

So this blog post was initially supposed to be about the possibility of me starting to write fan fiction, and instead, it turned into a Harley Quinn rant! I'm good at getting side-tracked. 

Don't get me wrong, Batman is not the only subject I could write about for hours, it just seems to be a guilty pleasure of mine. 

I spend as much time reading as I do writing. Currently, I'm making my way through Lauren Kate's Fallen series. The third book in the series was rather slow going and almost boring at times, but she sure made up for it in book four. I end up reading at night until I just can't seem to keep my eyes open any more.

I could definitely see myself writing some fan fiction about Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy books. In Bloodlines, she touches more on Rose and Dimitri's relationship, but there is so much more that the reader is looking for. Maybe I could look into that.

Of course there is Harry Potter and Twilight, but it seems like every where I turn, there is some sort of fan fiction about those. 

Some of my other favorite authors do so well with tying up lose ends, it's almost impossible to find an angle to write fan fiction. 

I don't know. It's just something I'm thinking about. I still have a lot to work on without it, but it would be fun. I am about a third of the way finished with Scars Fade, and still working on an idea for a children's series (trying to talk my daughter into helping me out with it). Trying to get traditionally published, but that's almost impossible until I'm an "established" author. 

Guess I just have to keep working to become "established".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music = Life!

The Fate of Saving Avalon