Magic Mike

Like regular Mike, but Magic.

I couldn't resist. If you didn't see Channing Tatum on Jimmy Fallon acting out Magic Mike scenes written by elementary kids, I definitely recommend finding that video on YouTube.

Last night, three amazing friends and I ventured to Madison for the premiere of Magic Mike XXL after winning tickets from a radio station.

First of all, the theater itself was amazing! Marcus Cinema in Sun Prairie is without a doubt the best movie theater I have ever seen! Super comfortable, reclining chairs. The screen was huge. The sound was amazing. Waiters brought us whatever food or drink we ordered (yes they even had a bar).

Knowing that I had an hour drive ahead of me after the movie, I decided to drink my usual Mountain Dew, but one of my friends did splurge for the Magic Mike specialty drink. At $9 for a tiny glass, barely bigger than a double shot glass, wasn't worth it. The drink itself was horrible. Grapefruit and lime should not be mixed...ever...

The radio station also had drawings for some pretty amazing prizes, which none of us won, but we were really only there for the movie.

After 25 minutes of previews, during which we decided to step outside for a cigarette break, the movie finally started. The first twenty minutes or so were rather slow-going, until Channing Tatum reunited with the boys from the first movie (minus Dallas, which I was happy to see go, and the Kid) as they made their way to a stripper convention in Myrtle Beach.

Does this convention actually insist? If it does, road trip ladies!

Okay, I'm getting off the subject here.

Anyways, the "male entertainers" embark on their road trip and Mike has the idea of changing up their dances and breaking free from the usual that Dallas had picked out in the first movie. Again, I'm definitely okay with that. Dallas creeped me out. Glad he was gone. 

The second dance of the movie was to Backstreet Boys, "I Want It That Way." Now, being a teen in the 90s, I LOVE boy bands! I was always more of an NSync girl than Backstreet Boys, but I still love them! Seeing this song in the movie (especially AFTER the boys get into a debate over which boy band is better) was awesome. My ladies and I will never hear that song again without thinking of this movie night, and we hear it quite a bit since a lot of the guys (my husband included) sing this song in karaoke on a semi-regular basis. 

The story goes on. I'll admit, when I was reading about this movie, I was a little disappointed to see Jada Pinkett Smith casted, especially since being the comic fan that I am, I love the show Gotham and I just can't see her as anyone other than Fish Mooney, but I was impressed. She played the part of Rome perfectly after the boys picked her up the emcee their dances, and picking up a couple of extra dancers along the way.

I don't think I have ever laughed so much in my life as I did last night (and that includes my Cards Against Humanity nights, which are nothing short of hilarious). I was disappointed for it to end.

I have been a Channing Tatum fan since the Coach Carter days. It didn't matter what movie it was, if he was in it, I was watching it. Step Up became my favorite movie rather quickly. I wasn't much of a fan of the GI Joe films, but he redeemed himself with 21 Jump Street (and 22 and soon to be 23). White House Down was amazing and I am definitely looking forward to Gambit (again, I'm a comic book nerd) but Magic Mike XXL will probably always be my favorite Channing Tatum movie. It is so much better than the first one (which I also loved). If only there was another one in the works....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music = Life!

The Fate of Saving Avalon